Considering an Investment?
If you are considering an investment property purchase, we can help you navigate the many legal and financial hazards involved in the transaction. Not only can Appleton help you identify an investment, we can represent you and your best interest in the purchase of property.
If you already have an agent representing you in a purchase, but would like a free quote on our property management service, feel free to call with no obligation.
There is no pressure.
Just starting your search? Not sure where home prices are in the areas you are interested in, how much of a down payment is generally required, how much monthly payments run, or how much you can afford? We are happy to provide helpful guidelines for you to follow.
When people call to inquire about Property Management, they usually ask us, What do you do? How much do you charge? Do you manage the type of property I have? How do I get started?
Getting right to the point, here are the answers:
What do you do?
We basically take on all of the functions of the landlord for your property.
1) We inspect the property. We can meet with the owner or owner’s representative, or if no one is available to meet us and access can be made available to the property, we will make a summary sheet and take property photos for later review by phone, mail, or internet conference with the owner. The property does not have to be vacant.
2) We suggest possible repairs, if needed, to make the property "rent ready." We make sure the property meets State of Mississippi standards. Appleton has it's own in-house maintenance crews that can be utilized for small maintenance type work. Your will find we are very economically priced. Or, if you have maintenance people you want us to use, or perhaps you want to do some types of maintenance yourself, we will do everything we can to make it work.
3) We can help determine rental value. We rent a lot of property and constantly monitor the rental market. Our knowledgeable staff will help set the rental market value but the ultimate decision must be made by the owner.
4) We look over the Management Agreement and answer questions. Our agreement is direct and to the point. Unlike most Management Agreements, it is not a long-term contract. If the owner’s situation changes and you want to sell, move back in, or make other changes, you don’t have to buy out our contract.
5) We advertise the property including:
Our website averages 1,200 visitors per day.
Advertise on a multitude of 3rd party websites.
Professional “For Rent” sign.
Paid social media advertising
Premium real estate aggregation sites; trulia, zillow, apartments.com, loopnet, and others...
Spot newspaper ads.
No one does a better job of exposing the property to the market.
6) We show the property, so you don’t have to. We are available to take phone calls and emails.
7) We screen the applicants, including but not limited to, residency verification and employment verification. They need to look good on paper. We also consider the applicant when we show the property: what questions they ask and what comments they make that would indicate their level of responsibility.
We typically drive by their current residence if it’s in the local area.
We look for someone who can afford the rent, has a good payment history, who likes and appreciates the property, and who appears to be someone who will treat the property with respect. When we have a viable applicant, we contact the owner and run it by them for their input.
8) We prepare a well documented Rental Agreement. We meet with the tenant and carefully go over the contract. We want our relationship with the tenant positive and professional.
9) After move-in, our service includes but is not limited to rent collection, enforcement of rent collection, handling all tenant calls, overseeing maintenance, inspections, bill payment, and other landlord duties. In addition to monthly statements, we provide a year-end statement and an annual property profile. We will keep you in the loop regarding any major issues and get your approval for maintenance done over an agreed-upon dollar amount, but you don’t have to deal with the tenants directly.
What if your tenant doesn’t pay the rent and eviction is necessary? We have years of experience with the eviction process. Often, with a new account, that’s our first order of business because the owner currently has a tenant who needs to be evicted. We will work on the process efficiently and expeditiously.
What if you already have a tenant?
We will inspect the property, meet the tenants, go over your paperwork, make recommendations, and step in and take over.
How much do you charge?
Our fee varies with the type of property and, because we charge a percentage of the rent, it varies with the rent amount. For most single family homes it is 15%. We charge no additional fees, such as for filling a vacancy.
You pay nothing in advance. We are paid through the money we collect from the tenant.
Do you manage the type of property I own and in the area I own it?
We manage properties including single family homes, condos, duplex, large and small scale multiple-unit buildings, commercial strip, big box, and other types of income producing real estate assets. Appleton's corporate office is located in McComb, Mississippi. Pending the type of income producing property and the total number of leases associated with the asset, Appleton will manage most investments south of Jackson MS.
How do I start?
Call our office and we can answer your questions and set an initial appointment. We prefer to meet face to face but can utilize other options if necessary.
note: We are a Property Management company. We operate under a Real Estate broker’s license. We can represent owners who in the future decide to sell, or we can work with an agent of their choice. Many management companies have agreements that lock the owner into only working with them. Our contract does not.